The Dowen Lab is committed to providing a safe, inclusive, and supportive environment. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds and groups, including those under-represented in higher education and the scientific community. This commitment to diversity and inclusion allows us to:
- Stimulate creativity and innovation in our academic endeavors
- Value multiple ways of thinking and individual styles
- Celebrate our differences and use them to strengthen our science
- Ensure individuals feel supported and invested in the lab mission
- Foster leadership and mentoring that lifts up others
- UNC Biology Department Diversity and Inclusion Statement
- UNC Initiative for Maximizing Student Development (IMSD)
- STEM Pride of the Triangle
- Glossary for Understanding the Dismantling Structural Racism/Promoting Racial Equity Analysis
- Project Implicit – Harvard University
- The Stroop Effect
Dowen Lab Activities
- Jill does “Stress First Aid Training, January 2022.
- Jill does “Preventing Harassment and Discrimination” training from EVERFI, May 2021.
- Audra completes “Managing Bias” training by EVERFI, April 2021.
- Alex is a speaker at the Rosalind Franklin Society meeting “Labs, Leaders, Critical Connections!” session on “How and When to Add Voices”, December 2020.
- Natalie is an organizer for the Inclusivity and Anti-Racism Book Club as part of the Department of Biology’s Diversity and Inclusivity Initiatives
- Alex is founder of Black in Genetics (BIG) movement
- Jill’s Faculty mentoring workshop sponsored by UNC Office of Graduate Education & IMSD
- Jill’s “Understanding Differences” workshop
- Alex’s appointment to IMSD professional development committee
- Alex’s mentorship of a Chancellor’s Science Scholar undergraduate student
- Megan’s Yale Ciencia Initiative Fellowship appointment
- Annual lab meeting on diversity, inclusion, equity, power dynamics and ethical research practices
- Lab participation in NC DNA Day